My Ravings n Ramblings

My earlier venture into blogging was to capture the escapades of my kids. Very soon, I did realise that there was a lot more of stuff that demanded to be "penned down". Not wanting to turn the kids' blog into an "everything under the big blue sky" blog, I decided to start another one - and this is it !! "Anything and everything under the big blue sky" that catches my attention and says "pen me down" will be found here.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Of weird names ..........

I've been in Hongkong for over 12 years now and one thing that has always struck me is the kind of names that I've seen on the locals here.

During our early days of marriage, my early days in HK, I remember seeing a Ms.Muffin and a Ms. Bagel in one of the bread shops close to our place of residence.

Yet again, I saw a girl whose name tag proudly said "Diphtheria" and the worst part was that she was the counter staff of a utility store next to a hospital.

During my early days in HK, I do remember wondering if names here are job-coded !!!

Even now, when Vic (my hubby) talks about something related to office, I do catch names like Rain, Lemon, Apple etc..

What actually prompted me to pen this down or what actually set the ball rolling was the name tag of a girl in one of the department stores when we had been shopping for kids' clothes last month.

She came towards us with a broad smile and said "May I help you ?" Unfortunately, it sounded more like "May I hell you ?" . But then, staying in HK, over a period of time, kind of gets you immune to these kinds of linguistic gaffes.

What really caught my attention was her nameplate which was pinned where nameplates normally are and the nameplate said "MILK".

And I remember thinking to myself "Thank Goodness her name was not followed by a question mark" !!!

Now that would really have been something !!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home